Sunday, September 27, 2015

Log Cabin

A few short weeks ago there was a mail order sale on jelly rolls from Laundry Basket's Sticks and Stones. We met Michael  from Laundry Basket Quilts in Val d'Argent September 2014. He is such a nice man and he was very helpful and informative. I love Edyta's work and her colours. She exhibited  several quilts there.



To make a long story short I jumped on the offer and I thought this could be a lovely quick and easy log cabin quilt.  I was gifted  Veronika Busse's book  a couple of years ago on how to make a log cabin factory style quickly.
Well, this was an opportunity to learn! The log cabin can be sewn clockwise or counter clockwise it took me backwards sewing of about 10 blocks until I got it right. Veronica suggests to just sew on a long strip of fabric and cut afterwards. This worked nicely but then I read Judy Martin's ideas on log cabin and decided to be more exact and cut the strips to the expected length 4.5", 6.5" and so on. This worked better for me. But now a new problem reared its ugly head. While a jelly roll is convenient the strips are a bit wider than I had desired.  I was looking for a strong contrast and opted to use blue and brown as my darks. The medium colours are always giving my trouble. By now my husband got interested in the project and he wanted it big and bigger and encouraged my to buy more material. I was running out on my two jelly rolls. Well, I lucked out and got my next two jelly rolls at a special as well. Now I had plenty of material to choose from and I removed all the medium colours to promote a stronger light / dark contrast.
Now I wanted it done and ready to come with us on our holiday to the States to have it longarm quilted there. It would mark our time in a very special and unique way. I called the local quilt shops and was told there is a 6-8 week waiting list for longarm!
Well, this is a set back but I was still intent on having the flimsy ready. Right before the trip I got up early on Saturday and sewed the top together. And I learned yet another lesson. The rows are not identical there are two distinct different ways. Once I understood the concept the blocks quickly were sewn into a top. I laid it on the bed and I think I will add one more row in the length.






We took the Elna to the shop for a good clean out.  I have had it for 2 years now. We brought up the old 35-year Pfaff. Oh it still works and I am counting on it for my bag workshop end of October. But the Elna runs so much smoother and easier. My studio is cleaned up I hardly recognise it. I am taking some hand sewing along in case we run into bad weather.

Happy Quilting

1 comment:

  1. Post, Link, Banner Anforderung

    Hallo ,
    Wir suchen für Bloggerinnen mit einen einzigartigen Geschmack wie Sie, um eine kooperative Geschäftsbeziehung aufzubauen. Miaberlin.de spezialisiert in maßgeschneiderte Abendkleider, Brautkleider, und Kleider für besondere Anlässe. Wir hätten gern wenn Sie für uns ein Post schreiben und uns ein Banner geben könnten. Wenn Sie interessiert sind kontaktieren Sie uns an miaberlinbacklinks@yahoo.com (Wir werden Ihnen die Details schicken).

    Wir freuen uns von Ihnen zu hören.

    ReplyDelete